- Careers are like a good relationship; it’s all about the fit. In order to find out which careers are a good fit for you, you need to get to know yourself. So start paying attention and getting involved in the things you like. So, join clubs, volunteer, or come to The Career Center for an assessment; do whatever gets the ball rolling.
- Put some time and effort into your search. Happy relationships take time and effort, and so should your career search. Set aside some time to research the careers and fields you are interested in. If you need some resources for your search, come to The Career Center and we will show you what you need.
- Get some feedback. When we date someone new, we always ask the people who we trust what they think. So why not ask a professional in the career you are interested in what they think about the field? Conduct informational interviews and ask people what they love about the career and what they don’t like about the career. Some of you are shy about this, so come to The Career Center for a pep talk.
- Spend some time trying out the career. Just like dating, you need to see if the reality of the career matches the idea of it. The best way to “date” your career – get an internship! The Career Center can help you with your internship search, so make an appointment.
- Just remember, there are many fish in the sea. So, if you find you don’t like a career after all, cast another net and try again. A career is out there for everyone and our career counselors are here to help you fish through the opportunities!
You can show us some love any day of the year:
The Hofstra Career Center, M. Robert Lowe Hall
Phone: 463-6060, Email: CareerCenter@hofstra.edu
Happy Valentine’s Day!
|Deanna Rodin, Associate Director