Tips to Prepare for
The 2017 Spring Career Fair
Wednesday, April 5th
11:00 a.m. -2:00 p.m.
David S. Mack Sports and Exhibition Complex
· Bring lots of copies of your resume! Stop by the Career Center to have your resume reviewed during Quick Question Hours: Weekdays 10:00-11:00 a.m. & 2:00-4:00 p.m.!
· Come prepared. First, register on Handshake, then review the list of employers attending and their job opportunities. As you review employers, you can add them to your “favorite” list for later review. If you spend a little time getting background information on an organization, you then can ask very focused and specific questions. This impresses company representatives because it shows that you are genuinely interested in working for them. With over 180 employers to choose from, you’re bound to find that valuable internship opportunity or dream job.
· Dress appropriately and professionally. First impressions are important! Dressing professionally gives employers the idea that you are ready to get right to work!
· Allow yourself adequate time. Come as early as possible and pace yourself appropriately throughout the event. You want to have enough time to leave a lasting impression with each employer that you are truly interested in.
· Get familiar with your surroundings at the fair. When you arrive, take a few minutes to review the career fair directory. It’s also important to note that the Career Center staff will have a table of councilors waiting to answer any questions you might have before, during or after your fair experience!
· When meeting employers, introduce yourself confidently and be prepared to give your "career pitch." Extend your hand, say "hello" with a smile, make eye contact and state your name. Welcome the representative to Hofstra. Have your resume ready to give to the employer. Be ready to talk about your career interests as well as academic and extracurricular experiences that will highlight your skills and strengths as a promising candidate.
· Take notes. When you inquire about next steps and the possibility of talking with additional managers, write down all the important information! Make sure to get names, email addresses, telephone numbers, etc. of other staff in the organization whom you can contact later. Take advantage of all the insider information you can get in order to take the next steps!
· Ask the representative for his/her card, and then promptly send a thank-you note to keep your meeting fresh in their mind. Having the business card of the representative you have just spoken to gives you a direct contact person within the organization to follow up with in the future!
· Write a thank you note: A brief thank-you note acknowledges the time they took to get to know you as a potential candidate searching for an opportunity with their company. Sending a thank-you note is always a good professional habit and gives that personal touch that could really connect you to the right opportunities.
Let us help you in any ways we can!
The fair is almost here! If you have any quick questions or would like your resume reviewed, feel free to visit us at the Career Center! Quick question hours are weekdays 10:00-11:00 am & 2:00–4:00 pm! This fair is open to undergraduates, graduates and alumni of all academic backgrounds! Attending the fair gives you amazing opportunities to network, find that dream internship or job, or even just gain valuable experience! We hope to see you there!
Career Center Marketing Assistant