Why Are Cover Letters Important?
· Provides a way for you to introduce yourself and explain to a hiring manager why you are a good fit for the position.
· Highlights specific experiences on your resume and explains transferrable skills.
· Helps you market to a prospective employer why you meet the specific job requirements and why you would be an asset to that institution/organization/company.
A strong cover letter should:
· Include specific information about why you want to work for the employer
· Exemplify solid writing skills and be succinct
· Demonstrate your knowledge of the position
· Align your experience with the desired qualifications of the employer
· Address any potential concerns about your application
The basic cover letter has three sections:
· Section 1 – Tell why you are writing; state how you found out about the organization/position; mention any referrals
· Section 2 – Highlight one or more experiences (job, activities, projects) that illustrate a relevant skill and indicates how you can make a contribution
· Section 3 – Indicate your interest in meeting to discuss the organization/position, and thank the employer for his/her time and consideration
What can The Career Center do to help?
· “Quick Question” hours at The Career Center are available Monday-Thursday: 2-4pm and Fridays: 11am-1pm. Here you can meet with a counselor and have your resume and/or cover letter critiqued!
· Make an individual appointment with a career counselor by calling (516) 463-6060.
· Use the Career Planning Handbook as a guide and reference!
Please remember we are here to help you succeed, so utilize these useful resources!!!