When you go Trick-or-Treating, did you ever notice that it’s just like networking in your job or internship search? Think about these similarities as you enjoy your tricks and treats today:
1. Use proper manners – “Please,” “Thank you,” and “Excuse me” go a long way! Employers love polite candidates in both conversations and interviews.
2. Don’t be greedy – If a house has a bowl of candy on the stoop with a “Take one!” sign, do you take the whole bowl? (The correct answer is No!) So if an employer posts several positions, only apply for the ones you for which you are qualified and that you truly want.
3. Wear a costume – When going for an interview, wear appropriate attire. Men should wear a suit and tie. Ladies, if you wear a skirt, put on stockings to secure a polished look!
4. Be safe – Research the company prior to sending your resume and cover letter so you know exactly who and what the application is for.
5. Don’t be picky – Don’t be a job snob! Consider all offers you receive. You may be pleasantly surprised and will have more knowledge to make an informed career decision!
“Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you are going to get.”
- Forrest Gump
|Lorraine Massiah, Assistant Director|