You always hear that for an interview, you should dress for success--but what does that really mean? Here are some tid-bits about personal grooming to keep in mind as you prepare for your next mock or real interview:
- Do not wear too much fragrance. If you have been told in the past, "I smell you when you leave the room," YES that is too much.
- Brush your teeth (and make sure you check for bagel seeds in-between!)
- Wear clothes that fit. If they are too tight, you will look uncomfortable and feel uncomfortable as well.
- Wear comfortable shoes; for ladies, make sure your heel height is appropriate.
- Ladies, keep a shorter nail length and wear neutral nail polish.
- Minimal jewelry overall; for the men, NO earrings.
- Hair should be neat and clean (keep in mind, there are MANY old school interviewers, know the work culture of the company!)
- Makeup – less is best!
- For clothing, men should wear a dark suit and ladies may want to consider wearing stockings with your skirt suit (better to safe than sorry!)
- No matter your look, bring your BEST you.
Have you come into the Career Center for a Mock Interview? If you haven't, you should! Schedule one by calling us at 516-463-6060 or using our online scheduler at hofstra.edu/career!